Application Scientist – Flash Chromatography
The Application Scientist will provide a scientific foundation to Advion’s puriFlash separation and purification product line by developing a sound understanding of customer needs, developing applications and performing sample preparation activities in the key disciplines of:
- Organic synthetic chemistry separation/isolation
- Natural products purification including hemp/cannabis
- Food/Flavor chemistry
The incumbent will support commercial activities and sales through the generation of data for application notes and technical literature (MarCom) and will communicate product operation and sample preparation techniques to customers through demonstrations, training courses, and formal presentations at conferences and scientific meetings. The incumbent will also contribute to the customer service and technical improvement activities as assigned.
This position will report directly to the Director, Customer Service and Application Development.
- Develop effective analytical methodology for the separation and isolation of small molecules in various matrices.
- Generate new data by working with Advion colleagues and customers in our key application areas. Data will take the form of application notes, publications in peer reviewed journals and/or slides for oral and poster presentations at conferences.
- Interact with customers and markets to define new applications and open new markets.
- Interact with Marketing Communications to help develop effective marketing strategies and campaigns.
- Interact with prospective customers to support the sales process.
- Provide onsite and telephone support and problem solving for customers experiencing sample preparation and analysis difficulties.
- Provide onsite customer training and applications assistance as part of Advion’s initiative for post installation, application-specific training.
- Conduct on- and off-site demonstrations of the company’s products to potential customers in support of Advion’s sales and marketing efforts.
- Interact with customers by phone or by laboratory visits to establish analysis needs, analyze customer samples, and provide reports to customers to support the sales process.
- Provide training classes for customers at Advion’s Ithaca facilities.
- Work closely with the research and engineering group to develop and test new products.
- Masters degree in analytical chemistry, food sciences or pharmacology/toxicology. PhD level training is a plus. Other degree with demonstrated experience will be considered.
- Must possess in-depth knowledge and expertise of modern liquid chromatography separation (TLC, Flash, preparative HPLC, preferably with experience in organic synthetic chemistry separation, natural products isolation and/or food/flavor chemistry
- A demonstrated background of hardware skills and ability to troubleshoot liquid chromatography based scientific instruments as well as excellent communication and people skills.
- General knowledge of mass spectrometry with atmospheric pressure ionization (ESI and APCI) would be a plus.
- Three or more years of experience of application development or other hands-on laboratory work with liquid chromatography.
- US Citizen or Green Card holder
- Position is based in Ithaca, NY and requires up to 33% overnight travel (<10% international), working onsite with customers or participating in scientific conferences and meetings.
Advion offers a competitive salary, comprehensive benefit plans, and a strong team environment. Interested candidates should email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.