Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) flour soluble extract improve intestinal bacterial populations, brush border membrane functionality and morphology in vivo (Gallus gallus)
Federal University of Viçosa, Cornell University
This study evaluates the effects of intra-amniotic administration of yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) flour soluble extracts (YFSE) on intestinal bacterial populations, brush border membrane (BBM) functionality and morphology, by using the Gallus gallus model.
- Yacon flour soluble extract (YFSE) increased the relative abundance of bifidobacterial and Lactobacillus.
- YFSE upregulated the expression of iron and zinc transporters.
- YFSE decreased gene expression of inflammation marker and hepcidin.
- YFSE increased glycogen concentration in pectoral muscle.
- YFSE improved BBM functionality and intestinal morphology.
Analysis was performed by LC/MS using the Advion expression Compact Mass Spectrometer (CMS).